Two Florida cities, victims of ransomware cyberattacks
Two Florida cities, Riviera Beach and Lake City, have been victims of ransomware cyberattacks in recent months.
Telephone lines, e-mail and even some government services, such as the possibility for citizens to pay municipal taxes online, were affected by them.
The cyber-attack vector consisted of sending infected emails to government accounts, which caused your information to be encrypted. Once the infection was confirmed, the cybercriminals contacted the insurance companies to negotiate the rescue of the data, which was encrypted at 42 bitcoins for Lake City and 65 for Riviera Beach.
- 20/06/2019 apnews.com Florida city pays $600,000 ransom to save computer records
- 25/06/2019 actionnewsjax.com Lake City agrees to pay $460K ransom in cyberattack
- 26/06/2019 cbsnews.com 2nd Florida city in just a week to pay hackers big ransom for seized computer systems
- 26/06/2019 bbc.com Second US town pays up to ransomware hackers
- 29/06/2019 elpais.com La plaga del secuestro informático mediante ‘ransomware’
- 03/07/2019 unaaldia.hispasec.com Dos ciudades de Florida pagaron más de un millón de dólares a cibercriminales debido a ataques de ransomware