Security incident on Twitter affects several profiles
Twitter has published a thread on its official user support channel in which it has made public a cyber security incident that has affected some accounts on the platform, many of them company officials and world-renowned personalities.
Through a social engineering attack, coordinated and targeted at some of their employees with access to internal systems and tools, the attackers were able to take control of these accounts to tweet scam messages on their behalf. They invited users to make deposits into a bitcoin portfolio under the guise of rewarding the user with twice the amount invested.
At this time, from Twitter continue working to prevent this situation is repeated again and investigating whether the incident could have a greater scope.
[Update 03/08/2020] As reported by the United States District Court for Northern California, three people were charged for their alleged involvement in the cyber attack directed at Twitter that took place on July 15, 2020, one of them being a minor. The alleged attackers allegedly created a fraudulent bitcoin account, posted fraudulent messages to VIP Twitter accounts, sent requests from VIP Twitter accounts with the false promise of duplicating bitcoin deposits made to the scam account, and then stole the bitcoin that the victims deposited in the scam account. The account used for the scam received more than 400 transfers worth more than $ 100,000.
[Update 18/03/2021] Cybercriminal, Graham Ivan Clark, 18 years old, a suspect in the security incidents against Twitter, has pleaded guilty to charges of organised fraud, communications fraud, fraudulent use of personal information and unauthorised computer access. He faces up to three years in prison and three years on probation.
- 16/07/2020 twitter.com Hilo de Twitter Seguro
- 15/07/2020 bleepingcomputer.com Apple, Kanye, Gates, Bezos, more hacked in Twitter account crypto scam
- 16/07/2020 zdnet.com Twitter confirms internal tools used in bitcoin-promoting attack
- 16/07/2020 xataka.com Un hackeo sin precedentes en Twitter compromete las cuentas de Bill Gates, Obama, Elon Musk, Apple y muchos más
- 16/07/2020 elconfidencial.com 'Hackean' en Twitter a Musk, Obama, Bezos y cientos de cuentas para estafar con bitcoin
- 16/07/2020 genbeta.com "Ingeniería social" y pagos a un empleado: todo lo que conocemos sobre cómo ha ocurrido el gran hackeo de Twitter
- 31/07/2020 justice.gov [Update 03/08/2020] Three Individuals Charged For Alleged Roles In Twitter Hack
- 15/03/2021 assets.documentcloud.org [Update 18/03/2021] Formulario uniforme de declaración, reconocimiento y renuncia de derechos