First blackout in history due cyber-attack
The December 23, the national power grid of Ukraine suffered a cyber-attack that caused a blackout for several hours, which resulted in more than 600.000 of homes in the Ivano-Frankivsk region going dark. The attack would have been made using the Trojan BlackEnergy and social engineering. It would be the first time in history that a computer attack caused power outage.
Update 12/02/2016: U.S. official accuses Russia of the Ukrainian power plant attack.
Update 03/03/2016: Added information about the incident.
- 31/12/2015 reuters.com Ukraine to probe suspected Russian cyber attack on grid
- 04/01/2016 welivesecurity.com BlackEnergy trojan strikes again: Attacks Ukrainian electric power industry
- 04/01/2016 arstechnica.com First known hacker-caused power outage signals troubling escalation
- 07/01/2016 elperiodicodelaenergia.com El primer ciberataque de la historia contra una eléctrica pone en alerta a todo el sector
- 14/10/2014 incibe.es APT BlackEnergy y 0day Sandworm
- 12/02/2016 cnn.com U.S. official blames Russia for power grid attack in Ukraine
- 03/03/2016 wired.com Inside the Cunning, Unprecedented Hack of Ukraine’s Power Grid